Sunday, January 30, 2022

Healthier Alternatives for Scented Candles – Aromatherapy...

This is an old post that I recently moved here from a deleted website of mine. The original date of this post was sometime during the year of 2010. Yeah, several years have passed since then. In fact, I don't even use candles of any type, anymore. Ha! But back to the retrospective subjects at hand...

I’ve known this for a while, as the initial realization disconcerted my candle-lighting self, that most candles (especially scented) are, unfortunately, not good for you.

I used to light these things all the time, especially the tea lights within Himalayan Salt rocks and candle holders. The ones containing Paraffin wax, as most store-bought candles do, are not your friend; they’re your foe. Paraffin is a petroleum product, so you already know from here, the resulting diagnosis from this petrochemical is not going to be complimentary to your well-being. The black smoke and soot that emits from these lovely candles, ends up in your lungs; toxic chemicals enter your body, and so on.

To cut right down to simple, candid talk: It is never good to breathe smoke albeit some is worse than others. The prior statement is personally semi-contradictory, coming from me, since I enjoy sporadic campfires and relish cigarettes with my endeared beer time. In my case, I was just trying to cut down on toxins, so I eliminated scented paraffin candles from my home. I still light them on rare occasions, but I try to have healthier alternatives available.

Oh wait, there’s more: Many of these candles and tea lights found at local retailers, have a metallic-based wick that usually contains lead. The next thing you know, we have petroleum by-products in addition to lead – getting set aloft in our homes, all due to those nice smelling, sexy, lighted candles. The scented ones have even more unhealthy additives and artificial dyes added to the Paraffin wax – which leads to additional toxins; if you burn them often, it is wise to seek healthier choices.

Recommendations:

Try aromatherapy candles that are made of natural oils and make sure they have a paper wick without metal or wires.

Beeswax candles are considered to be one of the safest alternatives.

It would probably be easier to simply shop online, when it comes to finding candles that contain natural wax. If you’re a spry, do-it-yourself type person, soy-based aromatherapy candles are not that difficult to make. Once you get your supplies together, the steps fall right into place. You can always search on the web for how-to advice, by typing “how to make your own aromatherapy soy candles” or similar search terms, etc.

Say good-bye to burning flames from artificial origins and say hello to a new, natural form of illuminating bliss.

Below, are the few comments this post garnered on the old website that I recently deleted:

Comment #1 - Amanda says:

This is so true. I’m a big candle lover and a couple years ago I started making my own aromatherapy soy candles. They are easy to make, and it is sooo worth it.

Comment #2 - Magnolia says:

Yes, I make my own soy candles, and every Christmas, I have a big list of people waiting for their candles. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter. Read everything first, then make your candles. I know the other candles are bad for you, but really how often do people burn them? Usually during sex, so that is only 15 minutes a week…LOL! Maybe less!! Of course, I have a candle burning in the bathrooms when I have guests for obvious reasons.

The bottom line, most people really do not burn any candles all that much. The little bit of toxin in the air will not harm an adult, but it could affect children and small pets, so ... just use common sense and I think you will be okay. Another thing you can do…get an oil lamp, fill it with olive oil and essential oil for scent and then light it up! Olive oil burns pure. Another interesting and informative subject…thanks!

Comment #3 - Administrator says:

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, my girlfriend has made them before and claims that soy candles are easy to make. Personally, I take the easy/lazy way out and simply buy the aromatherapy candles with natural oils. I may break down eventually and try to make my own.

---End of Comments

Shopping (Affiliate) Link:

Search Amazon for Aromatherapy Soy Candles

Semi-related Post: "Is Aluminum really dangerous to our health?"

---End of Post "Healthier Alternatives for Scented Candles – Aromatherapy..."

No comments:

Post a Comment